Our program is offered 100% online, so you can study anytime, anywhere!
The faculty in the community development program work collaboratively across five partner universities, providing diverse perspectives on the field, which will provide you with unique experiences you couldn’t get when taking classes from just one university.
Learn more about how this program works within the alliance.
This program serves a diverse student population who has a passionate commitment for social and economic justice and a desire to lead change that improves the quality of life in communities.
This program is appropriate for:
- Those new to the profession, needing fundamental knowledge and skills to start a career in Community Development; and,
- Mid-career professionals, needing to strengthen skills and/or obtain a graduate degree or certificate to advance.
- Evaluating community and organizational assets evaluation
- Economic and population analysis
- Leadership and capacity building
- Community engagement and participatory planning
- Organizing for change
- Working with diverse populations
- Sustainability and resilience strategies
- Program design and evaluation
- Collaborative tools and technologies
- Grant writing and fundraising
- Nonprofit management
- Ethically based professional practice
Graduates from this program will demonstrate:
- Professional knowledge of community development (CD) theory, methods, practices, and ethics.
- The ability to create and implement planning and action for community change toward more prosperity for all.
Communication skills appropriate for both academic and public audiences.
There is a lot to consider when choosing your home university. We've compiled some helpful information in the Community Development Student Handbook.
Every university approaches the application process differently. Acceptance confirmation can vary from a few weeks to a few months depending on the university. Once you choose a home university, ask your campus coordinator about how that university processes applications.
Being part of a virtual community provides opportunities an on-campus program never could. Interaction with learners and faculty from across the country allows you to learn from diverse perspectives.
In this video, listen as a graduate of the community development program shares how surprised she was at the connections she made with fellow students from across the country.
To contribute to a more prosperous, sustainable and just world, we will:
- Provide high-quality graduate education
- Provide applied practice-based experience
- Participate in interdisciplinary networks of educators and local practitioners who respond creatively and innovatively to the rapidly changing conditions in their communities
- Address social, economic, and spatial equity through transformative community processes and practices that are globally engaged and locally focused
- Engage students and faculty in cutting edge research and practice to advance the field of Community Development
The Great Plains IDEA Community Development program strives to be the leader in building a global, transdisciplinary network of highly renowned faculty, practitioners, researchers, students, and alumni designed to engage committed professionals in an innovative distance learning experience embedded in the processes that create community resiliency, sustainability, and justice.
We want to help! Give us a call at 785-532-1999.