• Who do I contact for information at each of the universities?

    Always start with the campus coordinator at the university of which you have questions.

  • How do I choose a home university?

    Research the following to determine which university is the best fit for you:

    • Requirements and timelines for admissions and graduation
    • Any policy for students who stop-out due to unexpected life events but plan to return to the program after a semester or two
    • The degree title printed on your diploma as determined by the home university rather than the Great Plains IDEA program
    • Requirements for a culminating experience such as a final exam, master’s report, thesis, practicum or project
    • Faculty research interests that might influence your decision
  • What is the difference between a home university and a teaching university?

    Your home university is where you enroll, pay tuition and earn your degree or certificate. A teaching university is where the faculty member teaching your course is located. At times, the teaching university may be the same as your home university.

  • What is required for admission to one of the universities?

    You apply for admission at one university, which becomes your home university. Most universities require you to complete an application, pay a fee and submit transcripts of previous college credits. Additional requirements may include GRE scores, a resume, statement of objectives and letters of recommendation. Contact the campus coordinator at your home university to get the complete checklist.

  • How do I know what programs are offered?

    Great Plains IDEA offers certificates and degrees in two academic areas: human sciences and agriculture. View a list of our programs.

  • How do I apply for one of the academic programs?

    Admission requirements to a program vary between universities. Check specific requirements for the academic program at the university you call home. Your home university campus coordinator can connect you to the right people to answer your questions.

  • How long does it take to get a decision on my application?

    Every university approaches the application process differently. Acceptance confirmation can vary from one to six months depending on the university. It may differ if you are applying for an undergraduate or graduate degree. Once you choose a home university, ask your campus coordinator about how that university processes applications.

  • Do I have to be admitted to all the universities who participate in my program?

    No, you only need to be admitted to your home university. Your home university is where you enroll for classes, pay tuition and earn your degree or certificate. Even though you take courses from other universities in your program, you aren’t admitted separately to each university.

  • How do I enroll in a course?

    You enroll in courses through your home university and follow the enrollment dates set by that university. Visit the Enrollment webpage for more information.

  • When can I start taking classes?

    You can start taking classes at the beginning of any semester once you are admitted to your home university. Most member universities have two parts to the admissions process: admission to the university and admission to the program. While you must be admitted to your home university in order to take classes, you can begin taking classes while you wait to be accepted into your program.

    At most universities you can apply to be admitted as a non-degree seeking student if you want to try the program. The number of credits you may complete as a non-degree student are limited. Check with your campus coordinator about the university’s policies. Begin the program admission process as soon as possible.

  • Where can I find more information about being a student in a Great Plains IDEA program?

    Each program has a student handbook filled with helpful information. All Student Handbooks are located in the Student section of our website.

  • How do I drop a course?

    Notify your home university campus coordinator, the teaching university campus coordinator and the course instructor if you need to drop a course. Policies of your home university determine refunds.

  • What student services are available to me?

    Each university has a campus coordinator who guides students through processes like admissions, enrollment and graduation. Through your home university you have access to an online library system, information technology support services, a financial aid office, disability support services and military or veteran support services. Visit the Great Plains IDEA Student Success Center for advice about time management, online discussion board postings, writing an academic paper, searching for a job and much more.

  • How do my instructors know of disability accommodations I need during their courses?

    Start by contacting your home university Disability Support Services Office. Obtaining disability accommodations and services is a student-driven process. It is a confidential process. Each semester you need accommodations, you need to re-engage your home university Disability Support Services Office. Learn more about Disability Support Services through the Student Handbook.