Newly Admitted Students | FAQs

  • How do I enroll in a course?

    You enroll in courses through your home university and follow the enrollment dates set by that university. Visit the Enrollment webpage for more information.

  • When can I start taking classes?

    You can start taking classes at the beginning of any semester once you are admitted to your home university. Most member universities have two parts to the admissions process: admission to the university and admission to the program. While you must be admitted to your home university in order to take classes, you can begin taking classes while you wait to be accepted into your program.

    At most universities you can apply to be admitted as a non-degree seeking student if you want to try the program. The number of credits you may complete as a non-degree student are limited. Check with your campus coordinator about the university’s policies. Begin the program admission process as soon as possible.

  • Where can I find more information about being a student in a Great Plains IDEA program?

    Each program has a student handbook filled with helpful information. All Student Handbooks are located in the Student section of our website.

    In this video, a campus coordinator shares two pieces of advice to help new students be successful.

    In this video, instructor Greg Clare explains a few of the essential skills needed to be successful in graduate school.

  • How do I drop a course?

    Notify your home university campus coordinator, the teaching university campus coordinator and the course instructor if you need to drop a course. Policies of your home university determine refunds.

  • Will I have an advisor?

    Yes, students work with an academic advisor at their home university after admission to a program. Your advisor works with you to set your educational goals.

  • As an online student, do I receive a physical student ID card?

    It depends on your home university if you get a physical student ID card. Most universities do not automatically provide student ID cards when usernames are issued. Follow up with your campus coordinator to see how you can go about getting a student ID card at your home university.