Learn more about Tuition and Cost
The Food Safety & Defense graduate certificate program will prepare you to help with protecting the human food supply. This certificate can complement a graduate degree, or provide working professionals in the food industry the tools needed to advance their career.
Is this program right for me?
Students in this program come from various areas in the food supply industry. You may be right for this certificate program if you:
- Work in the food industry.
- Have a bachelor of science degree in food science or closely related field.
- Have a job title such as Quality Assurance Associate or Food Safety Technician.
- Need additional education to advance your career.
- Are in the middle of a master’s degree or Ph.D. program and looking for supplemental courses.
This unique 12-credit hour certificate pulls together researchers and students from various parts of the food industry, giving you the opportunity to interact with others from all over the country. This in-depth, specialized training in food safety and defense is offered completely online, so you don’t have to rearrange your life.
What will I learn in this program?
You will learn how to:
- Analyze, synthesize and evaluate food safety and food defense information.
- Design and assess food safety and food defense assurance strategies, especially in food-related industries.
- Communicate professionally about food safety and food defense.
Course topics include:
- Food microbiology
- Foodborne toxicants
- Food safety and security overview
- Food laws
- Risk assessment
- Food biotechnology
- Rapid food microbiological methods
- Food fermentations
How do I get started?
Students must meet admissions requirements for the master of science degree in food science or equivalent degree at their respective universities. Contact a campus coordinator at your home university to learn more about admission requirements.
International applicants seeking admission to the food safety and defense graduate certificate program must apply at Iowa State University, the University of Missouri, or the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Certificate titles vary by university. Consult each university for the certificate title as it will appear on the diploma.
This graduate certificate will prepare you to help with protecting the human food supply.
Course List for Food Safety & Defense Certificate