The Great Plains IDEA Cabinet is excited for the opportunity to give back to Great Plains IDEA students and assist them in achieving their academic goals.
The Great Plains IDEA Student Excellence Award will be granted to five students. This $1,000 award may be used for educational expenses such as tuition and books, or towards other costs of attendance like childcare or educational technology.
Awards have already been made for the 2017-2018 academic year. Please check back in January 2018 for information on the 2018-2019 academic year application deadline.
2018-2019 Applicant Qualifications
Students can apply annually, however preference will be given to students who have not received previous financial support from Great Plains IDEA. Five $1,000 awards will be granted each year.
- Have been admitted to a Great Plains IDEA member university
- Have been admitted to a Great Plains IDEA degree-granting program (bachelor, master or certificate)
- Have completed a minimum of two (2) Great Plains IDEA courses
- Have an academic plan for degree completion on file with their home university
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
- Be enrolled during the 2018-2019 academic year (starting Fall 2018)
2018-2019 Application Process
The application process will include submission of the following:
- Application form submitted online
- Unofficial transcript
- Academic plan for degree completion
- One (1) page resume or curriculum vitae
- 500 word essay describing the student's professional and academic goals, plan for degree completion, description of financial need and expected uses/benefits of scholarship funds
- Letter of endorsement from a Great Plains IDEA faculty member, or the student's faculty academic advisor, verifying the student's progress in the academic program
Award Guidelines and Information
Check back in January 2018 for deadlines for the 2018-2019 awards.
Each program will select three finalists whose applications will be evaluated by three (3) Great Plains IDEA Cabinet members. A rubric will be used to evaluate applications and determine award recipients.
Use of Awards Funds
Funds may be used for educational expenses, such as tuition and books, or towards other costs of attendance like childcare, educational technology or cost of living.
Carol Gould, Great Plains IDEA Executive Director
Amanda Fairbanks, Great Plains IDEA Lead Institution