The Great Plains IDEA Cabinet is excited for the opportunity to give back to Great Plains IDEA students and assist them in achieving their academic goals.
The Great Plains IDEA Student Excellence Award is granted to a limited number of students each year. This $1,000 award may be used for educational expenses such as tuition and books, or towards other costs of attendance like childcare or educational technology.
"The Great Plains IDEA Student Excellence Award will certainly have a positive influence on my academic performance and overall wellbeing. By removing the financial barrier to earning my master's degree, my education and career goals will be easier to attain. The award will also allow me to complete the degree faster since I will be financially able to enroll in more credit hours each semester. The sooner I earn my degree, the quicker I can enter the workforce and begin to make a difference in the lives of our youth."
Jessyca Waddell, Youth Development Student, Kansas State University
2022-2023 Applicant Qualifications and Requirements
Students can apply annually, however, preference will be given to students who have not received previous financial support from Great Plains IDEA. Ten $1,000 awards were granted for the 2022-2023 academic year. Applications for the 2022-2023 award are now closed.
- Have been admitted to a Great Plains IDEA member university
- Have been admitted to a Great Plains IDEA degree-granting program (bachelor, master, or certificate)
- Have completed a minimum of two (2) Great Plains IDEA courses
- Have an academic plan for degree completion
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
- Be enrolled during the 2022-2023 academic year (starting Fall 2022)
The application process will include submission of the following:
- Application form submitted online
- Unofficial transcript
- Academic plan for degree completion
- One (1) page resume or curriculum vitae
- 500-word essay describing the student's professional and academic goals, plan for degree completion, description of financial need, and expected uses/benefits of scholarship funds
- Endorsement from a Great Plains IDEA faculty member, or the student's faculty academic advisor. Endorsers will be provided an online form to complete once the student has submitted their application. This form includes six statements to rank and a brief (500-word max.) statement of support.
Award Guidelines and Information
Applications for 2022-2023 are now closed. Please check back for more information in Spring 2023 for next year's award deadlines.
Applications for 2022-2023 are now closed.
Each program will select two finalists whose applications will be evaluated by three (3) Great Plains IDEA Cabinet members. A rubric will be used to evaluate applications and determine award recipients.
Use of Awards Funds
Funds may be used for educational expenses, such as tuition and books, or towards other costs of attendance like childcare, educational technology, or cost of living.
Contact Amanda Burris at Great Plains IDEA.