Working in the horticulture field, you understand that flexibility is important. So why not enhance your knowledge by choosing a program built with flexibility in mind? With three certificates to choose from, faculty from four leading research universities and courses offered online, you can learn about topics that interest you when it’s convenient for you.
Who should consider this certificate?
A graduate certificate in horticulture is perfect if you are entering the field, hoping to advance your career, or are passionate about growing plants.
- Horticulture agents involved in extension programs
- Master Gardeners
- Graduate students in related majors, such as Biology, Entomology, and Plant Pathology
- 9-12 grade science teachers
- Golf course superintendents
- City parks and recreation employees
- Landscape maintenance managers
- Nursery, greenhouse and garden center industry professionals
- Individuals wanting to use these courses to jump start a Master of Science in Horticulture
- Research technicians in academia and industry
What are my certificate choices?
Choose from three certificates to find the right fit for your interests and experiences. Courses are offered during spring, summer and fall sessions. An advisor will help ensure your path to completion is smooth.
Advanced Horticulture Certificate
The certificate in advanced horticulture provides the basic knowledge and skills required to master advanced practices and principles in horticulture, and is an excellent foundation for horticultural management positions, teaching or graduate school. Courses cover a broad overview of horticultural production, balanced with basic coursework.
- Plant physiology, nutrition, and irrigation science
- Nursery, greenhouse, and edible food crop production
- Horticultural business management
Floriculture and Nursery Management Certificate
The floriculture and nursery management certificate will develop your knowledge of plant function during crop production by focusing on the following topics:
- Ornamental herbaceous and woody plants
- Plant nutrition and physiology
- Business and pest management
Ornamentals, Landscape and Turf Certificate
The ornamentals, landscape and turf certificate will concentrate on the best management practices used in the green industry for home landscapes, business parks, golf courses, municipal parks and similar areas. This professional practice-oriented certificate includes coursework in:
- Plant nutrition and plant response to environmental conditions
- Plant identification and selection
You may choose to use this certificate as a stepping stone to begin your master’s degree in Horticulture. Some member universities who offer this certificate also offer a master’s degree, so the transition would be easy. These universities include: the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Texas Tech University and North Carolina State University.
Certificate titles vary by university. Consult each university for the title as it will appear on the certificate.
2017-2018: Graduate $565 | Undergraduate $405
2018-2019: Graduate $580 | Undergraduate $415
Leslie McClure Myatt
Diane M. Wasser