University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd
KUMC MS 4013
Kansas City, KS 66160
Jeannine Goetz is an associate professor in the Department of Dietetics and Nutrition at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC). She received a bachelor’s degree in Dietetics in 2001 from the University of Central Missouri and completed her dietetic internship and master’s degree in Dietetics and Nutrition at the University of Kansas in 2003. She completed her doctorate in Therapeutic Science from the University of Kansas in 2008. Goetz currently teaches several graduate level courses and serves as the KUMC program director for the Master of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition program through the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance. Goetz also serves as the KUMC dietetic internship program director.
Goetz has 15 years of experience working within the research field with expertise in weight management, food security and dietary assessment. She is interested in studying different weight management delivery mechanisms as well as tailoring these interventions for special populations such as those with serious mental illness and intellectual and developmental disabilities and those who are low income or food insecure individuals.
Recent research projects include:
- A weight management intervention tailored to provide the skills, knowledge and resources necessary to increase food security while also addressing other barriers of low income women
- Effectiveness of alternative delivery systems for weight management interventions (group- based phone conference calls, Second Life)
- A behavioral and lifestyle intervention to encourage overweight/obese pregnant women to gain within the IOM gestational weight gain recommendations
- Evaluation of novel methods for weight reduction and prevention of weight regain in individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD)
- Impact of different structured weight loss diet intensities (low calorie diet vs. very low calorie diet) on obstructive sleep apnea severity
- Evaluation of the efficacy and public health impact of three different exercise regimens to prevent weight regain following weight loss
Ph.D. in Therapeutic Sciences, University of Kansas, 2008
M.S. in Dietetics and Nutrition, University of Kansas, 2003
B.S. in Dietetics, University of Central Missouri, 2001