Can't find what you're looking for?
Contact Kathryn Harth.
Administrators, faculty, staff, and campus coordinators from member universities are invited to this annual conference.
Over time we have learned that Sunday through Wednesday is a pattern that works well for our members. Some years there is less programming on Sunday. Other years there is less on Wednesday. Each conference's start and end times fluctuate a little based on program availability, the conference theme and the goals of the Boards and Cabinet.
Eighteen months prior to the conference, the management team creates a master calendar that includes the following:
- All member universities' spring breaks
- Conference dates and locations that may prevent faculty, specific programs, functional team members or board members from attending
- Holidays like Easter and Passover
For the 2019 conference, March 31-April 3 was the only Sunday through Wednesday completely free during the months of March and April We have very busy members!
Eighteen months prior to the conference, the management team puts out a request for proposals (RFP). The RFP is sent to the convention and visitors bureaus in each city we would like to consider for our conference. In 2019 we submitted RFPs to Kansas City, KS; Kansas City, MO; Omaha, NE; and Des Moines, IA.
We received nine proposals. After some additional research and back-and-forth with a few of the properties, we selected the InterContinental on the Plaza in Kansas City, MO. This will be the fourth consecutive year to meet at this property.
Important factors we consider when selecting the right property, listed in priority order:
- 10 or more breakout rooms to accommodate our many academic program meetings
- Complimentary wireless internet in the meeting and guest rooms
- Complimentary or discounted parking for overnight guests and temporary parking
- Competitive sleeping room rates and variety of room types
- Personalized webpage for online reservations
- In-house audiovisual company with discounted pricing
- Discounted food & beverage
- Discounted meeting rooms
- Walkability to nearby restaurants and shops
The InterContinental on the Plaza consistently meets our demands, continues to be flexible and amenable throughout the planning process, and provides excellent customer service throughout the conference.
Your registration fee covers rental fees for audio-visual equipment, speaker fees, and operational costs. Your registration fee also covers the following:
- Monday -- Lunch buffet, morning and afternoon beverage breaks, evening reception
- Tuesday -- Breakfast buffet, boxed lunch, morning and afternoon beverage breaks
Yes. One-day registration will again be available on Monday, April 20 and Tuesday, April 21. The cost depends on the programming scheduled for each day. Registration for the 2020 annual meeting will open in January 2020.
Contact the registration office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-532-5569.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you must cancel your registration, please do so as soon as possible by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Great Plains IDEA Spring Conference”. Substitutions are encouraged. A full refund, minus a $25 administrative fee, will be made if notice of cancellation is received by the registration office by 5 p.m. CST on March 20, 2019. After March 20, due to guarantees we must provide, refunds are not available. Registrants who do not cancel their registration in writing by March 20, 2019, are responsible for paying the registration fee even if they do not attend the meeting and have not paid the registration fee.
To learn more about registration rates and policies, visit the conference registration page.
Contact Kathryn Harth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-6968.