Can't find what you're looking for?
Contact Kathryn Harth.
The 2019 Spring Meeting will be March 31 - April 3 at the InterContinental on the Plaza in Kansas City, MO.
Over time we have learned that Sunday through Wednesday is a pattern that works well for our members. Some years there is less programming on Sunday. Other years there is less on Wednesday. Each conference's start and end times fluctuate a little based on program availability, the conference theme and the goals of the Boards and Cabinet.
Eighteen months prior to the conference, the management team creates a master calendar that includes the following:
- All member universities' spring breaks
- Conference dates and locations that may prevent faculty, specific programs, functional team members or board members from attending
- Holidays like Easter and Passover
For the 2019 conference, March 31-April 3 was the only Sunday through Wednesday completely free during the months of March and April We have very busy members!
Eighteen months prior to the conference, the management team puts out a request for proposals (RFP). The RFP is sent to the convention and visitors bureaus in each city we would like to consider for our conference. In 2019 we submitted RFPs to Kansas City, KS; Kansas City, MO; Omaha, NE; and Des Moines, IA.
We received nine proposals. After some additional research and back-and-forth with a few of the properties, we selected the InterContinental on the Plaza in Kansas City, MO. This will be the fourth consecutive year to meet at this property.
Important factors we consider when selecting the right property, listed in priority order:
- 10 or more breakout rooms to accommodate our many academic program meetings
- Complimentary wireless internet in the meeting and guest rooms
- Complimentary or discounted parking for overnight guests and temporary parking
- Competitive sleeping room rates and variety of room types
- Personalized webpage for online reservations
- In-house audiovisual company with discounted pricing
- Discounted food & beverage
- Discounted meeting rooms
- Walkability to nearby restaurants and shops
The InterContinental on the Plaza consistently meets our demands, continues to be flexible and amenable throughout the planning process, and provides excellent customer service throughout the conference.
Registration generally includes:
- Sunday -- Refreshment break and presentations
- Monday -- Continental breakfast, lunch buffet and presentation, morning and afternoon beverage breaks, evening reception
- Tuesday -- Breakfast buffet, boxed lunch, morning and afternoon beverage breaks
- Wednesday -- Beverage breaks may be included if teams continue to meet