Accredited Financial Counselor Requirements
The master's degree in Family Financial Planning not only creates the opportunities associated with graduate education, but it also prepares students to take the Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®) exam.
The Great Plains IDEA online graduate program is registered with the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education. The AFC® mark is a federally registered service mark of AFCPE.
The mark is granted by AFCPE to people who have completed all of the following:
- Fulfilled a comprehensive educational requirement
- Passed the AFC® certification examination
- Satisfied a work experience requirement
- Agreed to abide by AFCPE’s code of ethical conduct
AFC® and CHC® Certification Examination
- The certificate and master’s degree ensure students receive the education required to take the exam.
- After completing the necessary educational requirements, students work with AFCPE on examination, experience and ethics requirements for certification.
- Completion of our master’s degree or graduate certificate does not guarantee a student will pass the CFP® exam.
The AFCPE website has extensive AFC® and CHC® certification information. Students admitted to the Great Plains IDEA online degree program are advised to examine this information.
Great Plains IDEA universities do not certify individuals to use the AFC® or CHC® marks. This certification is granted only by AFCPE to those persons who, in addition to completing an educational requirement such as this program, have met its ethics, experience and examination requirements.