Online courses have some similarities to face-to-face courses. However, there are differences. Here are tips that can help you adapt and succeed in the online environment.
- Develop a study plan. Every student learns and studies differently. Especially if you have been out of school for some time, you need to figure out how and where you study best. Think about your preferences, create time, and create a space where you can focus and be productive.
- Manage your time. Staying organized and managing your time is critical for success in an online course. One way is using a calendar to track assignments, tests, and projects. Each week look at what you need to complete for your course, and review responsibilities you have outside of school. Plan to study or work on assignments at least 5 days a week.
- Take responsibility for your learning. As an online student, you are responsible for your learning and staying up-to-date with assignments. Think critically about readings and assignments. Think about how you can apply what you are learning.
- Participate. Whether working alone, or in a group, it is important to participate regularly in the online class. This will help you to better understand the material and help you connect with your instructor and classmates.
- Be polite and respectful. Always be polite and communicate with your instructor and classmates in a respectful and professional manner.