Financing Your Degree | FAQs

  • How much does the program cost?

    Students pay the common price per credit hour for graduate courses or undergraduate courses at all universities, regardless of degree program or course.  It is the same price for in-state and out-of-state students. The common price includes administrative fees and distance delivery costs. Books and other course materials are extra costs. An instructor may require an exam proctor. Fees for proctoring services are the responsibility of the student. The common price typically increases each fall semester.  Learn more about the common price.

  • How do I apply for financial aid?

    Contact your home university financial aid office to ask financial aid questions and learn about eligibility. To qualify for federal financial aid, students must be degree-seeking and generally must be enrolled at least half time. To determine if you are eligible for federal financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

  • What scholarships are available to Great Plains IDEA students?

    The Great Plains IDEA Student Excellence Award is granted to five students annually. This $1,000 award may be used for educational expenses such as tuition and books, or towards other costs of attendance like childcare or educational technology. Your campus coordinator can also direct you to scholarship information at your home university. We have numerous resources and tips on our Finding Scholarships page.

  • Can VA benefits be used for Great Plains IDEA programs?

    If you have active Veteran’s Affairs (VA) or other military benefits available, you may be able to pay for classes with these benefits. Your first stop to learn about using military benefits is your home university financial aid or military aid office. Visit the Military, Veterans & Families section of our website for university contacts and additional information.

  • Does Great Plains IDEA accept transfer credits?

    In most cases, students can petition to have credits transferred to their home university through an approval process. Most universities limit the number of transfer credits for a program, including those taken as a non-degree student. If you have credits you are interested in transferring, contact your campus coordinator.

  • Can I get academic credit for work or military experience?

    Check with your home university campus coordinator to find out if your home university offers credit for work or military experience.

  • Will my employer help me pay for tuition?

    Many employers have tuition assistance for employees. Start by asking your human resources department what is available to you. If you choose to ask your boss to help pay for your classes, you can find resources on the internet to help you prepare a strong argument.