Episode 2 (26:12)
In this episode, we bring together faculty advisors and students to explore best practices in creating a sense of community for online graduate students. Building inclusivity leads to better retention and increased recruitment. Our guest expert is Jamie Heck, director of academic affairs at the University of Cincinnati’s College of Nursing. Also in this episode, we will answer listener questions, take a closer look at some of the misconceptions about academic advising, learn about other types of advising, and share helpful resources.
We’re all about helping people connect in the digital space. That’s why we’ve created virtual business card templates in Canva for staff and students.
Canva is a free graphic design software that enables you to edit, create, and share designs. Our templates are already created for you; all you have to do is edit the information to fit your needs!
Select the appropriate template below to get started.
|Student Template||Faculty/Staff Template|
If you’re new to Canva, check out their “Getting Started with Canva” tutorials.
Key Questions this Episode will Answer
- Why is building a sense of community and belonging important for online graduate students? (7:55)
- What can universities do to create a sense of community? (8:41)
- How can students take ownership of building connectedness within their online program? (13:39)
- How does communication help us build a culture of inclusiveness and prevent silos? (15:39)
- How can advisors facilitate student-to-student relationships for online learners? (18:15)
Resources Mentioned in the Episode