Listen and subscribe to this podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts.
Episode 3 (28:05)
In this episode, the team at Great Plains IDEA brings together faculty advisors and students to help everyone better understand how academic advising and career advising can enhance online graduate student success. Our guest expert is Kimberly Smith, assistant provost of academic advising initiatives at Virginia Tech University. Also in this episode, we will answer listener questions, take a closer look at some of the misconceptions about academic advising, learn about other types of advising, and share helpful resources.
Download the transcript for episode 3 (PDF)
Use this worksheet and resources to help you connect your academic, professional, and life experiences.
Key Questions this Episode will Answer
- What is career advising and how does it relate to academic advising? (8:09)
- How can students take ownership of career advising? (16:20 & 23:05)
- What do academic advisors need to know about being a career influencer? (11:13)
- What is a career development plan? How do academic advisors and graduate students work together to develop this plan? (18:40)
Resources Mentioned in the Episode
- Holland’s Career Typology Infographic (PDF)
- Super’s Theory of Vocational Choice
- Career Advising Resources from NACADA (Due to COVID-19, the NACADA store is temporarily closed. These resources will be available for purchase when the store reopens.)
- Pocket Guide “Academic and Career Advising for the Undecided, Exploring, and Major-Changing Students”
- The Handbook of Career Advising
Music Used: “Storybook” by Scott Holmes is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0