Episode 1 (20:00)
In our very first episode, the team at Great Plains IDEA brings together faculty advisors and students to help everyone better understand how to work together to remove barriers that online graduate students encounter. Our guest expert is Holli Fergus, director of academic advising at American Public University System. Also in this episode, we will answer listener questions, take a closer look at some of the misconceptions about academic advising, learn about other types of advising, and share helpful resources.
This checklist will help you understand a lot of the roles and responsibilities that you will encounter as an online graduate student. You can locate the person at your university and fill in their name and email address to help you when the time comes.
Key Questions this Episode will Answer
- What is the role of an academic advisor and how do they help graduate students? (6:00)
- What does academic advising look like for online learners? (8:58)
- What are some of the challenges of advising an online student? (10:20)
- How can students be proactive in their academic advising relationship? (14:01)
- What are some tips for students and faculty advisors in creating a successful advising relationship? (15:49)